The "Fabulous Faux Feline" sculpture
Yep, it’s that time of year again. Every year, my pal Romeo the Cat and Furminator hosts National Hairball Awareness Day. This year they asked us to create funky creatures from our Furminated furs to celebrate.
Whenever BZTAT Furminates us, she always says, “There’s enough fur here to create a whole new cat!” So to meet Romeo’s challenge, she made the “Fabulous Faux Feline” from all five of us cats’ furs. Kinda creepy lookin’ creature if ya ask me.
You guys know how much I hate the GOOP. You know, that gooey hairball medicine that’s all sticky and messy. Some cats like it, but I am not one of them.
That’s why I am such a big fan of Furminators. These great de-shedding tools help to get all my dead fur out so it doesn’t go into my tummy and cause hairballs.
This year fur National Hairball Awareness Day, the great folks at the Furminator company
sent us a brand new tool – their new Long Hair Large Cat deShedding Tool. BZTAT gave us all a good groomin’ with it, and let me say, we were all pretty pleased.
Okey's First Furmination
Now Slick and I are short hairs, and we have always kinda liked bein’ Furminated. Even though we have shorter fur, the long hair tool worked fine fur us.
Noah and Who, however, have long, thick fur, and they have never cared fur the process much. their fur tends to get tangles, and grooming is not so fun fur them. Eating a premium food has helped control the tangles somewhat, and the new long hair cat de-shedding tool really seemed to work fur them. It also was easier fur BZTAT to do the grooming, because it held more fur than smaller tools, and the ejector button seemed to repel the fur more easily than previous tools.
Okey even had her first Furmination! As you can see, she didn’t have a lot of shed fur yet.
Why is it so important to Furminate cats? I’m glad you asked. Here’s some info from Furminator to illuminate:
- Cat hairball problems are just naturally common in cats, all cats, because of their self-grooming habits. Their rough tongues are made to clean themselves thoroughly and, in doing so, they ingest a lot of hair.
- Up to 2/3 of a cat’s shed hair can be ingested as they self-groom. These loose hairs can pack together in a cat’s stomach and form a hairball.
- Hairballs generally consist of compacted fur, but they often also include food and a coating of mucus.
- Hairballs aren’t just a messy inconvenience but a sign of discomfort and potential serious problems. They can lead to a number of problems including regurgitation and vomiting, constipation or diarrhea, intestinal obstructions and loss of appetite.
- Hair ingestion equals roughly 0.011 ounces of hair for an outdoor adult short-haired cat weighing 6.6 pounds. This can add up to 1.24 ounces of ingested hair a year.
- The most important and most effective way to prevent hairball formation is frequent grooming to remove the dead undercoat before it is swallowed.
- Traditional hairball treatments (lubricants, diets, etc.) address the problem after the hair has already entered the cat’s body. A FURminator® deShedding tool PREVENTS the problem by preventing the hair from getting into the cat’s body in the first place. FURminator stresses preventative care and that is the true definition of good health!
- Cats and hairballs and shedding problems are all connected.
- Using a FURminator just 10 minutes twice per week gently removes 90% of the loose hair and undercoat without damaging or cutting the topcoat. This is a safe, effective and non-invasive way to prevent hairballs from forming before they cause serious problems.
If you do not have a Furminator yet, I highly recommend them. And the new Long Hair Large Cat deShedding Tool gets 4 paws up from each of us cats here. That’s 20 paws! They cost $43.99 from the Furminator website, but they are well worth the cost.
Disclosure: Furminator has generously provided free product and other benefits in exchange for our participation in the National Hairball Awareness Day campaign. We are happy to be a part of this awareness campaign, however, all of the opinions about the product are mine and not dictated in any way by the company.